status of initscript conversions to lsb standard

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Mon Aug 13 08:20:59 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede wrote :

> Some time ago many bugs where filed against packages with initscripts, asking
> to make these initscripts lsb compliant.
>
> After that there was some discussion if this was really a necessary operation,
> as it wasn't sure yet if we would be switching to a startup replacement which
> requires lsb compliance scripts. The outcome of the discussion then was to wait
> with converting the scripts till things would be more clear.
>
> Are things more clear now, are we going to switch init, and to a version which
> makes these changes necessary, or should I close those bugs open against my
> packages?

I have the exact same doubts myself :-)

I really think the "Unanswered questions" from the wiki page should be
addressed first :
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FCNewInit/Initscripts

As an example, I still don't know what the correct/best syntax is for a
service to not be run by default in any runlevels :

- No "Default-Stop" or "Default-Start"?
- "Default-Stop: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6"?
- "Default-Start:" and "Default-Stop: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6"?
- Something else?

Matthias

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) - Linux kernel 2.6.22.1-41.fc7
Load : 0.84 0.67 0.50