rhgb and gdm-early-login two great tastes?

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Mon Aug 13 23:47:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 19:44 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 01:11:09PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > real reason for wanting kernel modesetting is so we can do this stuff
> > all the way forward in the boot process, basically as soon as you hit
> > the initramfs.  This lets you mask the fact that kernel init still takes
> > >10s on most hardware.
>
> You can run X as init if you want or just flip to vga mode which seems to
> be how windows does its initial "gee stuff is happening" display

We're not running X as init.  If you log out, the machine reboots.
Enjoy!

"Flipping to VGA" is basically the proposal, except for the ability to
do it right and get the native panel size and whatnot.  And it still
needs to happen in a kernel driver, since otherwise you're still waiting
for the kernel to get around to running userspace.

- ajax