Problems with NetworkManager and autofs/NFS

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Thu Aug 16 17:52:13 UTC 2007

NetworkManager is currently (in devel and F7) unusable with autofs and
NFS mounts.  This is because NetworkManager is stopped very early in the
shutdown process (K02) and brings down the network with it.  Then when
autofs attempts to unmount any automounted nfs mounts, they fail because
the remote machine is not accessible.  Eventually the machine hangs
trying to unmount the last nfs mounted directory.  I suppose it might
timeout eventually, but it's beyond my patience to wait that long.

Questions:

- Why is NetworkManager shutdown so early?

- Should autofs/nfs shutdown do a forced unmount if needed?  Would that
work?

- Do we need tighter NIS/autofs integration into NetworkManager?

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com