kde4 status?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Sat Aug 18 22:24:06 UTC 2007

Josh Boyer wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 20:01:29 +0200
> Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Michel Salim wrote:

>> > I'm not sure KDE4 is slated for inclusion for F8; their release
>> > schedule is too closed to that of F8 to accomodate any slippage.
>> >
>> > I believe there are some KDE4 packages being worked on, that can be
>> > parallel-installable, but I don't think KDE4-based packages can be
>> > accepted into the distribution unless KDE4 itself is.
>> >

>> Grumbel, now that was a very usefull answer (NOT) can people please
>> refrain from answering questions about things which they have no clue
>> about, and instead go RTFM? (kde4 is planned for F-8 inclusion), see:
>
> Actually, Michael does have a clue.
>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/8/FeatureList
>
> Yes, that is out of date.
>
>> and notice how KDE4 is on the approved features list, and:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureKDE4
>
> As is this.
>
> KDE4 will not be in F8.

Absolute and final decisions have not been made, so I'd say that previous
statement may be a bit misleading.

What *will* happen for sure:
* Both kde3 and kde4 runtimes and development environments will be included
in f8.

Will probably happen:
*  kde4 runtime/development landing in rawhide in time for test2 (*crosses
fingers*)

Undecided:
*  the kde4 desktop environment is, at present, still unstable and under
heavy development, so, odds are, that a full kde4 desktop environment will
not be ready for inclusion in f8.  We're still open to the possibilty that
a miracle occurs and that kde4beta2 exceeds expectations
stability/usability-wise and that the kde4 final release schedule has no
slippage.  That's a lot of ifs...

-- Rex