Development SIG -- http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Development

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 23:08:10 UTC 2007

On 8/20/07, Andrew Overholt <overholt at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 12:43 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > The thing I would keep in mind is that I see these three very
> > different kinds of developers that are probably fairly representative:
>
> Yeah, I realize that we may soon end back up at Fedora Everything.

But that doesn't mean that there's nothing to do besides just shipping a
bunch of bits =)
For example, what if out of the box, in fact when you first log into the
session:

* A local Apache instance is running and it's easy to configure (getting
sudo by default, maybe even have a button on the desktop to open httpd
config then reload it)
* Eclipse is already open to a Ruby file
* The system includes an application to easily transfer those bits to a
server provider

Or maybe instead of this, you define that instead of hacking the local
system, you're by default running a Fedora Xen image (with appropriate
NFS/whatever setup) so that deploying your app on a server running Xen is
super easy.

A totally different issue to tackle would be fixing the search-for-software
problem.  Right now Fedora has a huge amount of stuff and the yum/pirut
search isn't very good (search is a really hard problem).  I just searched
for "Ruby on rails" and it returned python-elixr.  I can't even seem to find
rails at all?  Well, maybe it's not packaged, dunno.

Maybe instead of search like I mentioned before it would be changing the
comps file (that's what defines the list of groups I think) to make more
sense to this audience (i.e. "Development Tools" isn't gdb/gcc/automake
because that's all audience 1 stuff, not 2/3.).  And start pirut by default
so after you boot the system the first time it's like "pick your poison"
with respect to Java/Python/Ruby.