Rebuilds needed for Fedora 8

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 08:40:52 UTC 2007

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 08:12:13PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2007, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 07:28:19PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> >
> > > For example, foo-1.0-1.fc7 -> foo-1.0-1.1.fc8 compares "fc7" with "1",
> > > whereas foo-1.0-1.fc7 -> foo-1.0-1.fc8.1 compares "fc7" with "fc8" as
> > > intended.
> >
> > Ok, but "1" is bigger than "fc", or not?
>
> Sure, which is why this holds true:
>
> > > While this hasn't in practice caused problems in devel
>
> Anyway, it is not how %{dist} is intended to be used.

Yes, the original purpose of %{dist} was to allow using the same spec
to build for more distribution releases.

> > We are bumping releases only in devel, so this situation shouldn't
> > happen.
>
> Maybe, but it can happen.

How exactly?

> Can you point out any problems that would arise
> from always just appending the .1 to the release tag?

It doesn't follow the rule that %{?dist} should be appended to the end
of the release tag. And it looks ugly.

Even if we don't agree on where to put .1, assigning a good next
release for packages that have a simple release tag like 1.fc8 is
easy, 1.fc8 -> 2.fc8. It's exactly what a maintainer would do when
bumping the release manually.

I was also hoping to see the changelog entry generator improved so it
would follow the changelog style (case of the first character, ending
with dot, dash after email).

I know, there are more important things to do.

--
Miroslav Lichvar