RPM upgrade problem: howto replace a directory with a symlink?

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 16:15:06 UTC 2007

The postgresql-server RPM contains its own copy of the zoneinfo
database, which I wanted to replace with a symlink to
/usr/share/zoneinfo to avoid needing to turn Postgres for zoneinfo
updates.  Unfortunately it seems RPM fails to cope with this
situation during an update scenario; it fails like so:

[tgl at rh2 x86_64]$ sudo rpm -F postgresql-8.2.4-4.x86_64.rpm postgresql-serv...
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/share/pgsql/timezone: cpio: rename failed - Is a directory
[tgl at rh2 x86_64]$

and leaves me with a half-updated fileset.

Is this a bug in RPM, or in cpio itself?  Perhaps more to the point,
how can I work around it until it gets fixed?  I was hoping to ship
this update today ...

			regards, tom lane