Spin license

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 22 16:34:45 UTC 2007

Jerry James wrote:

> The Spin Public license is available here [3].  It specifically allows
> for modifications, in a way that seems to me to be reasonable, but I
> am neither a lawyer nor an expert on licenses.
>
> [1] http://spinroot.com/
> [2] http://spinroot.com/spin/Man/README.html
> [3] http://spinroot.com/spin/spin_license.html

IANAL but clause 5 seems to prohibit private modifications by letting
the original contributor demand to get all modifications created by
other people.

Clause 6.1 has a termination provision for any intellectual property
action against the original contributor. The extend of this intellectual
property has not been defined. If the original contributor violates the
  copyright of anyone who is using software under this license, the user
has to terminate the use of this software before initiating action. That
seems draconian to me.

The bottom red text includes "Non-commercial use is restricted to
educational use only" which is a use restriction but it isn't clear
whether this is part of the license or not and this seems to be in
contradiction with the readme although the license would prevail in this
instance.

Rahul