Which repo(s) should bugfixed packages go to?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Aug 23 15:44:35 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 03:29:47PM +0100, Roderick Johnstone wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sometimes when a package gets fixed following a BZ entry the fix just goes
> into rawhide without ever appearing as an update for a currently supported
> release. This doesnt seem quite right to me. Is there a document that
> explains what is supposed to happen to bugfixed packages, or can someone
> just tell me.

There is no one-for-all policy regarding updates. There is a page here
explaning what to do in case one found that a maintainer is unresponsive
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy/AWOL_Maintainers
More interesting is that:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy/WhoIsAllowedToModifyWhichPackages

But ultimately for non critical fixes, it is up to the maintainer choice.
Fedora goal is to ship latest software, but once again it depends. And
remember that many fedora developers are volunteer. Proposing help
(comaintainership, update and test on other versions than devel) could
help.

When there is a situation not covered by those dicuments but still
dissention among people, I am not sure that there is something written
down, but something sensible would be

* ask on the list (more or less what you are doing now)
* contact the sponsor of the 'misbehaving' people
* escalate to FESCO

--
Pat