kde4 status?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 16:15:35 UTC 2007

On 8/23/07, Yaakov Nemoy <loupgaroublond at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 8/20/07, Adam Tkac <atkac at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I think it would be better switch to KDE4 as soon as it possible (right
> > now) and don't try maintain KDE3 and KDE4 simulateously. Of course, it
> > will cause unstability, KDE team will be under heavy load, conservative
> > people could get heart attack etc. But I think new Fedora is more about
> > new features than about stability. Also if we switch to KDE4 now we
> > should discover more bugs and make upcomming KDE more stable. Bug-free
> > work is enemy of good work in our business :)
>
> I guess the good work of your business is your enemy then.  Alot of
> people shy away from Fedora because of the instability. Without
> dragging a certain brown-coloured distro into this argument, there are
> people that choose !Fedora because it's always a) unstable, b) a
> testing grounds for Red Hat, c) too experimental for it's own good.

So?
Fedora -is- bleeding edge.
At least in my case, when I require a stable disto, I either use RHEL
or CentOS... not Fedora.

IMHO Fedora [1] isn't looking to be number one. It -is- looking to
showcase the best and latest of the OSS world.

> Even if these aren't true, that's how people see Fedora, and the last
> thing we really need to do is prove them correct.

I'm not sure that they are wrong.
While I think that that KDE4 should not be pushed into rawhide before
all the building blocks are bolted in (Read: Plasma... Not sure about
Phonon) - I do not agree that Fedora should forsake its designated
goal in the name of stability and market share.

- Gilboa

[1] From http://fedoraproject.org/
"Fedora is a Linux-based operating system that showcases the latest in
free and open source software. Fedora is always free for anyone to
use, modify, and distribute. It is built by people across the globe
who work together as a community: the Fedora Project. The Fedora
Project is open and anyone is welcome to join.

The Fedora Project is out front for you, leading the advancement of
free, open software and content."