IcedTea comps.xml patch

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 22:10:59 UTC 2007

On 8/28/07, Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I built the first IcedTea packages into Rawhide today.  Here is a
> comps.xml patch that would replace GCJ with IcedTea in the Java and Java
> Development groups, as well as install the plugin by default.  I'm
> posting the patch mainly for discussion purposes.  It will not work for
> ppc and ppc64 spins since IcedTea is currently only available on x86 and
> x86_64.  Should we stick with GCJ as the default for Fedora 8 or switch
> to IcedTea on the platforms on which it is available?

Awesome!  A free Java ^H IcedTea in the distribution is a huge milestone and
I think you're massively understating here how cool it is =)
Anyways, I think it would be bizarre to hold back IcedTea because it doesn't
work on ppc.  Previous discussion on the list seemed to come down fairly
strongly to that less than 1% of users[1] shouldn't hold back 99%.

[1] c.f. http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/