IcedTea comps.xml patch

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Aug 28 23:04:15 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 4:44:02 pm Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I built the first IcedTea packages into Rawhide today.  Here is a
> comps.xml patch that would replace GCJ with IcedTea in the Java and Java
> Development groups, as well as install the plugin by default.  I'm
> posting the patch mainly for discussion purposes.  It will not work for
> ppc and ppc64 spins since IcedTea is currently only available on x86 and
> x86_64.  Should we stick with GCJ as the default for Fedora 8 or switch
> to IcedTea on the platforms on which it is available?

Can i suggest that we have a java and java-devel metapackages  that require
all the right things  so that the best java available on each platform is
supported.  then comps needs to only pull those two packages in.

I am hopping that once we get SPARC in shape  we can bootstrap it on SPARC.
and use it.  it seems we have alot of users wanting java on SPARC linux.  So
dont forget other secondary archs in this discussion. im sure we will have a
mixture of gcj and IcedTea on them.

Dennis