IcedTea comps.xml patch

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 23:44:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 17:44 -0400, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
> I built the first IcedTea packages into Rawhide today.  Here is a
> comps.xml patch that would replace GCJ with IcedTea in the Java and Java
> Development groups, as well as install the plugin by default.  I'm
> posting the patch mainly for discussion purposes.  It will not work for
> ppc and ppc64 spins since IcedTea is currently only available on x86 and
> x86_64.  Should we stick with GCJ as the default for Fedora 8 or switch
> to IcedTea on the platforms on which it is available?

While I'm all for getting IcedTea to be the default, we don't have
arch-specific comps right now, and we really don't want to go down that
path.  Which means we should either
a) Do what dgilmore suggested and use java/java-devel to pull the right
thing in based on arch
b) Set both to default in comps, which will end up installing both gcj
and IcedTea on platforms where IcedTea is available but then not cause
problems for platforms where gcj is still the only answer

Jeremy