Plan for tomorrows (20070830) FESCO meeting

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Aug 30 08:43:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 07:31 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 29.08.2007 20:18, Brian Pepple wrote:
> > /topic FESCO-Meeting -- Follow-up -- obsoleting kmod proposal:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DavidWoodhouse/KmodProposal - dwmw2, f13,
> > |DrJef|
>
> Wow, lot's of words -- seems we are really on our way to "Bureaucratic 2.0".

Ouch, that hurts :)

> Well, as I'm one of those that was a major driver for kmod's in Fedora
> Extras: +1 for the proposal. If anyone wonders why it gets my support:
> it was something different when we had Core and Extras (that's the short
> explanation, but I think it should make the biggest reason obvious).
>
> Nevertheless some comments:
>
> - if we are doing "Bureaucratic 2.0" then let's please do the easy steps
> as well and discuss a proposal like this on the list properly for some
> days(¹) and don't try it in nearly hiding mode by just mention it in a
> "Plan for tomorrows FESCO meeting" where it easily missed.

We started off that way; the only reason it's on the wiki was because I
was asked to put it there after the email discussion. See, for example,
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-kernel-list/2007-July/msg00087.html
which was also on fedora-devel-list. Also a later thread on
fedora-devel-list with the subject 'Kernel Modules in Fedora'.

> - (partly a question for the Packaging committee as well) The current
> Kernel Module standard was not only meant for Fedora, but for RHEL also
> and a suggested one for 3rd party Fedora-repos as well. Are those still
> a goal? If not: will the stuff simply be removed from the Guidelines, to
> make them easier to read?

I think we could probably drop it completely, at least from the official
guidelines. That doesn't mean the text has to be completely obliterated
from the world, of course. If other people want to collaborate on a
method for doing that kind of thing, I have no particular objection to
letting them use the Fedora wiki for it. As long as we don't actually
_ship_ any such abominations :)

--
dwmw2