ubuntu bulletproof x

igknighted at gmail.com igknighted at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 13:49:04 UTC 2007

I think the main purpose is for people who are using proprietary
drivers (maily nvidia) and have kernel module breakages.  Also for
those messing around with other settings manually (trying to get a
multi-button mouse working, for example).  For those not used to linux
I can see how this could let them get online in order to get help.

But I also think it is poorly implemented.  Why not ask the user when
they update xorg.conf if their previous one worked, and then if they
want to save it as a fall-back in case the new one fails.  This way
you don't end up any worse off if it fails.  You'd have to make the
name of the backup well known enough for those manually editing the
file to save the backup properly (xorg.conf.bak seems fairly standard
for this, yes?), but I feel like most users who would need this would
be using Ubuntu's GUI xorg.conf tool, and that could be built right
in.