Making "upstream" tarballs available

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 31 19:28:10 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 18:01 +0200, Soren Hansen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After a bit of discussion on #fedora-devel I was directed here to start
> some discussion.
>
> The issue is that you guys have some neat stuff in Fedora which you
> essentially are also upstream for. Now, usually when we (Ubuntu in my
> case) package software, we go to a homepage or ftp site or whatever to
> grab a tarball, add our packaging to that and upload it to our archive.
>
> If I want to do the same with, say, system-config-samba, I've just
> learned that I should go to koji, grab the SRPM, donwload it, extract
> the "upstream" tar.bz2 from the SRPM and convert it to a tar.gz (yes, I
> need a gzipped version, but don't worry about that). It's hard to
> discover availability of new versions and equally hard to get my hands
> on the corresponding tarball.
>
> The short version is: It would be massively helpful to us (and possibly
> others) if you could provide those tarballs in a more (for us) easily
> accessible place, e.g. an ftp site or a web site of some sort.

Agreed. In the case of system-config-samba the spec file has this
mention:

# We are upstream, thus the source is only available from within this
#source
# package.
Source0: %{name}-%{version}.tar.bz2

I'm cc'ing the maintainer on this to see if we could convince him to
move system-config-samba out to hosted.fedoraproject.org to solve the
above problem.

Nils,
 Would you be willing to move things off of elvis and onto
hosted.fedoraproject.org to help with the use of system-config-samba by
other distros?

Thanks!
-sv