ata and scsi modules in initrd

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Sun Dec 2 19:17:39 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

>> To summarize, it's not a big deal, and I can't imagine having EVERY storage
>> driver in the initrd just in case someone replugs the disk between two very
>> rare controllers.
>
> I didn't say we should have all modules in the initrd. But having the
> most common would IMHO a good thing.

Imaging would be another thing that would benefit from this. We like to
have identical images even though the hardware can vary quite
considerably. 99% of the time this isn't an issue because the hardware
is detected dynamically and largely requires no manual intervention, but
this is one minor area that sometimes requires a bit of manual
intervention. A work around at the moment is to add an alias in
/etc/modprobe.conf on the master image for every disk controller type we
use, when the kernel is installed it pulls in the appropriate modules so
that it doesn't matter what controller the target is using.

--
Ian Chapman.