firefox vs epiphany

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Mon Dec 3 06:54:28 UTC 2007

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 05:38 +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
>> I use Epiphany, it does what I need without looking out of place, it
>> integrates nicely and it launches much faster. It lacks a few things but
>> it also leverages a lot of nice features (seemless integration with
>> GNOME, adopts theme, icons. Has more consistent translations which don't
>> break with version upgrades) and it has a powerful plugin system so we
>> can expand it in interesting ways.
>
> Epiphany can't seem to block cookies like Galeon can. I have it set so
> it accepts session cookies, but blocks all long term cookies. This keeps
> most sites functional. From there I can easily white list sites that I
> *want* to be able to store cookies with a single click, i.e. all the
> sites I actually log in to.

I use the "Cookie Safe" plugin for Firefox for cookie management, which
is pretty cool.  It puts a nice icon in the firefox status bar which you
can use to easily allow cookies on a site temporily, for session, or
permanently, or revoke it at any time at the click of a mouse button or
so, as well as the ability to view/remove individual cookies, and
various other useful things.  While Cookie Safe is very flexible and
powerful, and is very easy to use mind you, the overwhelming majority of
users out there probably never need this level of functionality - but
then that's why it's an addon, and not built right in to firefox I
guess. ;o)

Unsure how it adds up to what is available for Galeon or Epiphany though.

> Keeps my disk untainted by doubleclick bugs and whatnot, while not
> hurting usability on the sites I actually use. And I'm not constantly
> nagged about accepting cookies.

Yup, I use AdBlock Plus to get rid of all the ad-noise online, and also
as a side effect for web browser stability because a lot of the
advertising out there is flash based and causes browser crashes whenever
flash does something bad.  With Cookie Safe, I have browser cookies
totally disabled by default everywhere, and when I find a site that I
actually *want* to set cookies on, I just click on the cookiesafe icon
in the status bar, and then click on "Allow cookies from foo.com", or if
it is a site that requires cookies, but which I don't want to just allow
it always, I will choose "Allow cookies temporarily for foo.com", and
when I'm done I usually go back and deny them again rather than waiting
for session end.  It's much easier to do it right there while looking at
the page, than it is to go into Firefox's default cookie management
which is buried deep in the preferences dialog hierarchy.

I'm quite an anti-cookie junkie though too, and I suspect most users
just accept them by default and aren't concerned about their privacy or
whether they're being tracked by big evil advertising corporations, etc.

> Galeon is clearly the superior browser. I demand it be made default! I
> AM THE COMMUNITY!

Hehe.  I always liked Galeon.  It's small and cute and pretty quick.  I
use it once in a while for some things, but it could never be my primary
browser per se.

--
Mike A. Harris

Come and join us on the #fedora8 IRC help forum on irc.freenode.net