network manager command-line control?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Dec 3 15:43:32 UTC 2007

I want to make sure I'm not missing something before I file an RFE. I'd like
to be able to enable/disable wireless (or wired, for that matter) networking
from scripts. The nm-tool program seems like the logical place for this
functionality, but it doesn't appear to actually have it at this point.

Specifically, my laptop generates a custom Sony ACPI button event when the
wireless antenna is switched on or off -- I'd like to automatically enable
or disable wireless networking correspondingly. Is there an easy way to do
this that I'm just not seeing? Thanks.

(Also, is there a way to supress the pop-up messages about changes in
connections status? I find them more obtrusive and distracting than
helpful.)