New package cvs requests. opt out of cvsextras commit rather than in?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 15:41:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 16:30:10 +0100
Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> For me something like the ubuntu solution ("Development Team" that
> have commit access across all the Universe packages) sounds good --
> we could create such a team by putting sponsors, rel-eng-people and
> some hand selected red hat employees as well as some long term
> contributers into a "group" and call them "Development Team" as well.

The only difference between the ubuntu "developer" team and cvsextras
membership is we seem a lot more eager to hand out sponsorships.  If we
were less eager to hand it out, then we'd have that "team".

An alternative that has been talked about before, which I see some
value in, is that a new group is created, cvsnewbies if you will, and
members of those groups only have access to the packages they own.
They over time can be promoted to cvspkgs or cvsextras or whatever
we're going to call it.  Insert some criteria for promotion here.

At the end of the day, I just want our package set to be accessible to
as many people as possible instead of locked away from as many people
as possible.

Having just looked a bit closer and talked with Jeremy, here is what I
think we can do.

"cvsextras" as a FAS group becomes something like just 'cvspkgs'.
Warren is already planning on doing this.  Membership in this group
gives you a couple things.

1) file level ACLs on the cvs server to
write to the file system.  Everybody has to have this in order for cvs
to write out files on your behalf.

2) A grouping of all Fedora package maintainers.  All maintainers would
have to be in cvspkgs.

We would then create a new group, cvsexperienced or some other name
such as this.  This group is the group that gets CVS ACLs to all
modules that haven't opted out of this openness.  This takes the place
of what we have in pkgdb currently as cvsextras commit.  Entry to this
group should be relatively low barrier, but there is still a barrier
between the fresh contributors and everybody elses packages.

Finally we have the cvsadmin group who just has blanket access no
matter what, and this doesn't have to change.

With some relatively small changes this could be accomplished.  The
interesting discussion points are A) what is the criteria to get added
to cvsexperienced?  Obviously sponsors are automatically added, but
there should be other ways to get in.  B) who from the current members
of cvsextras would we grandfather into cvsexperienced?  C) what is a
better name for "cvsexperienced".  D) when to make this happen.
--
Jesse Keating