how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Thu Dec 13 20:54:07 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 14:24 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > Richi Plana wrote:
> > How much extra latency are we getting from this ? I've noticed the extra
> > lag in some of our games.
>
> Probably because SDL is going through ESD? And OpenAL is going to go
> through SDL? Which is a completely bogus situation IMHO but it works for
> now.

Right. If I understand correctly, SDL choked when trying to use
PulseAudio as its ALSA device, so we used a last-minute workaround of
forcing it to use ESD. See this thread for details:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.devel/70224/

> Pulse's ALSA wrapper needs to be fixed to work with SDL and OpenAL
> and/or SDL and OpenAL need to get native Pulse support.

A preliminary driver was written in April:
http://www.nabble.com/PulseAudio-output-for-SDL-to10047401.html
I dunno what the status of that is now, but Lennart has said that we'll
get native support by F9. Let's hope.

-w