Opinions welcome: Restructuring the system menus

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 02:58:59 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Andrew Farris <lordmorgul <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> Text Editors', etc, for each and every place there is duplication.  But for
>> separation of the basic *GTK based* versus *QT based* applications a submenu
>> would work nicely, see next comment.
>
> I think that's an absolutely terrible criterion to group things by. GTK+/GNOME
> apps work fine under KDE, Qt/KDE apps work fine under GNOME. While for basic
> tasks, there's usually both a KDE and a GNOME app (still I'd like the choice!
> OnlyShowIn sucks!), for more advanced tasks there's often only one application,
> and I think that's a good thing. It doesn't make sense to waste time rewriting
> all applications in Qt/KDE for no reason other than "GNOME sucks"
> (independently of whether that's true or not) or the opposite. So I think the
> current "clutter" (as you call it), i.e. offering all applications in the same
> menu, is the best solution.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

My suggestion has nothing at all to do with Gnome/KDE suckage.  I'm one of the
few using both regularly/simutaneously.

I never suggested that we *OnlyShowIn* at all... I suggested that items which
essentially come WITH/FOR one desktop or the other be marked as such, or placed
in submenus since its much more common to NOT used KDE apps while in Gnome (and
vice versa) than it is to use them rather than the available 'native' app to
your chosen desktop.

I would also recommend that is only done where there is *duplicate entries*...
in the case of an app like Kile, or Scribus (for which there aren't common exact
replacements in GTK yet) those should be shown in the base menu whether you're
in KDE or Gnome.

And once that basic default layout is in place anyone could still edit the menus
as they pleased, as Jeff was saying.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>