how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Dec 18 00:06:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 12:57:06AM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 17.12.07 16:34, Patrice Dumas (pertusus at free.fr) wrote:
>

> Hmm? If you want no X, then you certainly also don't want any PA. I
> mean, last time I was in a server room I didn't see a single server
> with boxes attached... ;-)

It really depends. There are serious server rooms and there are home
servers that are more multipurpose. For example one could be a streaming
server so one could want to use it to listen to music too, but no X.
But in any case it is not the point. It is plain wrong to specialize
for a use (for example when logged with a specific dm). It shows that
the whole design has flaws. The sound server should be usable in all
situation from the start. Otherwise said, being able to adapt to all
sort of situation should be in its design.

That being said I don't know anything about pulseaudio, but if it is the
same than consolekit which was designed without pam interfacing in mind
it is not something I like. But, well I don't have the financial power
to launch the writting of a sound server, so...

--
Pat