how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Dec 18 10:54:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, 18.12.07 10:42, Patrice Dumas (pertusus at free.fr) wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 09:46:50AM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> >
> > Now that's a bit rude. Lennart is pushing the limits for an advanced Linux
> > desktop/workstation with his work, and frankly I think it's worth it, even
> > if it messes with some server use cases a bit. Even if it means Fedora
> > userbase becomes a testbed for experiments that can be a bit painful at
> > times. Someone has to do it, it'd better be us, because I like test-driving
> > the future.
>
> We all like to be test-driving the future or else we wouldn't be using
> fedora. But the issue is more on the planning of the future. In the
> planning phase the issues that will be faced should be taken into
> account such as not to leave aside some category of use cases/users
> and the overall design should take that into account. Aftere that, sure
> testing will be needed to make sure everything is right. But things that
> have been ruled out by design won't appear later magically.

As I wrote in a mail yesterday: I am fully aware of the issues with
console logins an PA. And as I wrote yesterday as well: to come up
with a solution for this has been on my TODO list for quite a while.

However, my TODO list is long. Actually it's not just long, it is
huge. I am trying my best to close all the issues on the list
one-by-one. For different people different things on the TODO list
have priority. That means, that whatever order I choose to fix all
these issues, I'll always make some people unhappy because I didn't
provide their specific feature already yesterday. All I ask for, is
bear with me -- and let's not forget: this is all Free
Software. Instead of waiting for some other guy to fix the bug for you
(and insulting him on the way), people are always welcome to scratch
their itches themselves -- and provide a patch. You have one
guarantee: if a patch is well done, I will happily commit it.

Now, since getting PA working manually on console logins is not
particularly hard (just run pulseaudio -D), I don't see any need to
make this the top priority on my list. The amount of work to get this
working smoothly is way larger than the short-time benefit of it.

Lennart