how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Dec 18 19:58:30 UTC 2007

Le mardi 18 décembre 2007 à 19:57 +0100, Denis Leroy a écrit :

> >> why not start PA from an init script ?
> >
> > Because it is a per-user/per-session daemon. Not a system daemon.
>
> but there's only one set of speakers per system,

It's even worse even dirt-cheap systems have multiple audio outputs that
can trivially be routed to different rooms just by running some audio
cable (that was common way before any multi-head GFX card arrived on
market).

So in addition to having several users contending on the same outputs
you can have several sets of input/outputs used at once by different
classes of users (think you want desktop you've got mail routed to the
system PVR app currently recording late show for some other user?)

It's very unclear to me how this kind if setup is supposed to be handled
in a PA world.

--
Nicolas Mailhot