how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 04:37:52 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 23:14 -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:

> I was specifically asking if there will be a configuration option
> somewhere to handle this (I think common enough) case so that you can
> decide whether fast switching users means killing audio or not.

A configuration option would only work for people who happen to read
fedora-devel-list or care enough to search deeply for it (this is a tiny
fraction of the user base, or I hope so anyways).

Probably the ideal way things could work here is that on a user switch,
instead of automatically stopping playback at that point, we instead
have an unobtrusive window appear in the new user's session, say at the
bottom right (or as a notification area display) that says:
"Other User is playing music [Pause Playback] [X]".

This all said though, I don't see how it's really a big deal if playback
automatically stopped on user switch.  There are a lot more important
bugs...