how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Dec 19 09:26:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, 19.12.07 08:12, Neil Thompson (abraxis at telkomsa.net) wrote:

> > This all said though, I don't see how it's really a big deal if playback
> > automatically stopped on user switch.  There are a lot more important
> > bugs...
> >

> Completely apart from the current issue, this is an attitude that seems to
> be prevalent amongst the Fedora desktop team, and it worries me - "So what
> if it used to work?  We have this brand new bling that is better and you WILL
> use it!"

Sharing audio devices between multiple concurrent sessions of
different users without major reconfiguration of ALSA never worked.

This is no regression.

Also, I'd argue even if it worked before (which it didn't) the
behaviour exposed by PA+CK is the more correct one, from a security
perspective. And hence speaking of a "regression" in this area is very
adventurous.

Lennart