how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 16:25:55 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 16:55 +0100, Christopher Aillon wrote:

> >> Don't let Nalin hear that...
> >
> > I don't really understand your comment.
>
> Nalin (the pam maintainer in Fedora), is very much against using pam
> modules in non-authentication ways.  Yes, we know that other things do
> it.  That doesn't mean we should keep doing it.
Hmm, I have been the pam maintainer in Fedora (and RHEL) already for 3
years. Nalin was the previous maintainer. I'm not really sure what Nalin
means by using pam modules in non-authentication ways and which problems
are brought by such modules.

Pulseaudio could be probably started by pam_exec module. But if it
should run under the uid/gid of the user it would be more appropriate to
run it from the user's login session directly. Running things from PAM
modules should be reserved for things which require root priviledges.
--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb