Broken deps in the stable release are not acceptable

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Dec 29 15:17:05 UTC 2007

Christopher Aillon wrote:
> On 12/29/2007 02:32 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>> I completely agree with you. Maybe we could say that updates are allowed
>>> to bypass testing if they fix
>>> a) serious bugs
>>> b) bugs marked as "urgent"
>>> c) broken deps
>>
>> b) isn't a good criteria since anybody can mark any bug as urgent. If
>> the priority field in bugzilla is restricted to package maintainers
>> and triagers, I would agree with you.
>
> The same maintainer who marks "push right to stable" can tweak the field
> before they submit the update and you won't have solved anything.

Even if it had a strict set of rules and maintainers are going to abuse
the system, they can mark any update as a critical security update and
push it through too but then it is much more easier to point out who is
responsible compared to users just marking a random bug as a high
priority one.

At any rate, I think we should just disable the priority field or limit
it's access if we want to rely on it for anything at all.

Rahul