Difficulties testing the new nouveau driver

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 11:03:19 UTC 2007

As some of you may know I've been packaging and testing nouveau (the
free NVIDIA 3D driver) for some time. The current way the driver is
packaged is making things very difficult to properly test on fedora:

* The xf86-video-nv-2.1.5.tar.bz2 and nouveau-gitID.tar.gz are included
in the xorg-x11-drv-nv-2.1.5 srpm.
* This srpm spits out xorg-x11-drv-nv-2.1.5 and
xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-2.1.5 rpm files when built.

This poses me problems as:

* I can't easily keep the original nv rpm intact when building the new
nouveau
* The upstream version of nouveau ddx is 1.2.0, and the rpm version is
2.1.5
* I can't uninstall the xorg-x11-drv-nv driver to test nouveau from
source without nuking the nv driver too.

I understand that one day the nouveau ddx will replace the nv ddx, but
this can be accomplished with standard rpm obsoletes rather than
shipping the nouveau source in the nv srpm. For me, I think the proper
way of doing this would be to:

* Have a nouveau srpm *and* a nv srpm - they are different codebases and
have different version numbers
* Somehow fix the brokenness that has lead to the version number
xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-2.1.5 being installed when actually installed was
xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-1.2.0

Ideas welcome.

Richard.