Default MTA for Fedora 7

Joachim Frieben jfrieben at gmx.de
Sat Feb 3 20:52:07 UTC 2007

> Do you have any other suggestions on how to programattically decide what
> choice out of many options you'd use to satisfy a dep?
>
> fooz
> barz
> billy
> go
>
> All of these virtually provide /usr/bin/whizbang  and use alternatives to
> handle this.
>
> bingo requires /usr/bin/whizbang, and doesn't care which one.  What way to
> you
> decide which to grab?  Currently yum does a sort of all that
> provide /usr/bin/whizbang and picks the one at the top.  Shorter names
> sort
> before longer ones, so in this case, 'go' wins.
>
> --
> Jesse Keating
> Release Engineer: Fedora

One possibility would be to prompt the user, once alternative package choices appear and to let him pick one of them.

Btw, at the time I had posted my bug report, "Extras" and "Core" were disjoint entities, and I was surprised/annoyed that a package from "Extras" got installed when there were equivalent packages available in "Core". So , in this case, I would have expected "Core" to have priority over "Extras" which appears rather reasonable to me.