Default MTA for Fedora 7

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Feb 5 14:15:13 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 10:32 +0100, Ola Thoresen wrote:
> I do not want mail that SA has classified as almost certainly not spam
> to be greylisted.
> But then I'd like to greylist everything that is not blocked, but that
> is still suspicius (I.E. a score lower than N, but higher than M).
>
> But I geuss this is best solved by talking to the developers of one of
> the greylist-milters, to make them add a feature to whitelist email
> based on a custom header. (For instance "X-Spam-Level: ***")

The simple greylisting implementation I referred to earlier already does
that, in just a few lines of Exim ACL code which can be tweaked to
implement whatever policy you actually want.

Rather than a header in the mail itself, it's triggered by an ACL
variable which can be set during ACL processing for various reasons,
including a certain threshold of SA points, as well as the 'offences' of
being HTML, having no Message-Id: header, having MIME errors, etc.

I've been wondering if it's worth including something like that in the
Fedora package, as an example rather than being enabled by default.

Although it's useful to give examples of how to do such things, it's
also important not to make the _default_ configuration too baroque.
Debian gets this very wrong, which is why I've been slightly reluctant
to include more than the basics in the Fedora package. But these days I
suspect that greylisting _is_ counted amongst the basic requirements of
a public-facing mail server so I think I'll have to include it.

Would you (or anyone else, for that matter) be interested in being a
guinea pig to help me assess how easy it is for newbies to Exim to use
such a thing if I add it?

--
dwmw2