Default MTA for Fedora 7

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Feb 5 18:58:46 UTC 2007

On Monday 05 February 2007 12:52, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> > Are we really changing the default MTA just because of a cock-up in
> > resolving dependencies?
>
> No.
> We change it because sendmail sucks and needs to die.

No, we haven't _changed_ anything.  We let yum decide what dep to satisfy
smtpdaemon dependencies of mdadm and fetchmail, which happened to be in the
Desktop spin that we did for Test 1.  We have not made any statement or
decision about what might be the "default" MTA should a user actually ask for
an MTA.  In fact, in the Desktop installer, there is NO CHOICE for an MTA on
purpose.

Discussions like what are happening here is exactly why I don't want to choose
a default one.  I'd much rather the Mail Server grouped marked every MTA
as 'optional' and the end user has to make a choice.  If no choice is made,
than the dependency resolver will make a choice, and right now, exim wins
because it wins in a sort of all that provide smtpdaemon (shortest name).  If
somebody packages up the 'aa' package that provides smtpdaemon and plays with
alternatives right, 'aa' would win, again because of the sort.

I'm tired of this argument, let no mailer be default, other than what wins
progamatically by dep resolution.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora