Default MTA for Fedora 7

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 03:55:32 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 12:53 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> >
> > > 0.56% of people need Towers of Hanoi? (don't mind me, just passing
> > > through...)
>
> :)
>
> > Alan is the one who brought that up, and IIRC in relation to exim, not
> > sendmail.
>
> Well, there were folks claiming that sendmail is capable of things that
> Exim can't do, although they don't seem able to give any real examples
> of what kind of tasks they're thinking of. Having exhausted the
> real-world possibilities of things you might actually want to do with an
> MTA, we thought maybe they were thinking of Hanoi?

I can give one legitimate reason for not including exim. Including
exim would make David Woodhouse happy after 7 years of asking it in
Red Hat/Fedora Linux. If exim becomes the default SMTP in FC7.. I
expect David would retire shortly after as his life ambition would
have been completed.. instead it should be listed as something to be
brought up at FC8.

To be honest, all I ask for is that if it is not sendmail, that

a) First boot has an advanced option to select which MTA you want to
use versus having to select it via a kickstart

b) That there is good and clear documentation on how to use that MTA
on a system. I have come to like postfix, but it took me 3 days of
extensive reading to get it to act similarly as sendmail did for a
standalone system some localized email and some central email. I
expect that exim would be the same as I am not used to it..