Default MTA for Fedora 7

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Feb 7 07:10:41 UTC 2007

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Horst H. von Brand wrote:

> Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 15:48, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
>>> Precisely. So let's make sure that whatever is put on the media, is
>>> something that we can somehow justify as our default packages for
>>> whatever. I don't care about which mailer is chosen as default, but I'm
>>> not too fond of the: "package XXX is the default choice for function
>>> YYY, because it won the *sort* contest". If we are going to include an
>>> MTA on the media at all - and install should of course be possible
>>> without network connectivity - we should be in charge of which mailer
>>> goes there. It should not be left to chance.
>
>> I really really don't want to make that decision, because no matter _what_
>> decision I make, people with pitchforks are going to come after me.  So I'm
>> perfectly happy to make _no_ decision and let the tool sort it out.

I can only imagine the reactions if/when somebody submits some niche MTA
into the repository mid-release that happens to get selected over exim.

> That by itself /is/ a decision...

If the selection was truly random, it would be a slightly different thing
("see, we're carrying out a field-test to see which MTA is the best by
installing random MTA" :) but as it stands... yum-randomizer plugin,
anyone ;)

 	- Panu -