Default MTA for Fedora 7

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Feb 7 15:21:14 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 09:36 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> As for the performance issue someone else quoted regarding exim... At one
> point in time, I worked at a place that had lots of mail servers moving tens
> of millions of emails per day. There was no way in hell exim could handle the
> load (we tried). Both sendmail and qmail (ew) had their issues as well.
> Postfix was rock-solid, and had no problems holding up under the stress.
> Granted, this is a few years ago now, so postfix could have regressed
> (unlikely) and the others (save qmail) could have improved...

I've heard anecdotes the other way round too, and there are some very
large deployments of Exim. I suspect that it depends a lot on how
well-tuned it is. With large queues, you definitely need the
'split_spool_directory' option turned on to avoid putting too many files
in a single directory -- it's going to suck quite hard otherwise;
especially on older kernels. You may also want multiple queue-runner
processes in parallel, if you have a large number of mails stuck on the
queue that aren't immediately deliverable.

--
dwmw2