simplistic questions about core/extras merge

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Mon Feb 12 15:02:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Matthias Clasen wrote:

>> 2) Once a package passes review, a couple of things have to happen
>>     a) Current maintainer (someone who is @redhat.com) needs to agree to a
>>        freeze.
>
> I don't think it is possible to just stop development just because a
> package has been approved. There isn't even a new build system yet, so
> please let us just continue to do development in the old build system
> until the time that the infrastructure is actually ready to do the move.
> I don't think such a freeze between approval and move would buy us
> anything, really. Or do you want me to wait for reapproval after any
> change I do post-merge, too ?

All I mean is that eventually, there will be a moment in time in which a
package's CVS moves from internal to external.  The maintainer basically
has control over that timeframe, which doesn't have to be long.  But at
some point the maintainer of a package will say something like:

"no more checkins to the internal CVS, we're moving"
 	followed by
"ok to checkin, we're now in the external CVS"

is that wrong?

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack