/tmp filling up

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Feb 13 21:30:31 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 01:28:05PM -0500, Michel Salim wrote:
> Has anyone else experienced their /tmp directory filling up with
> tmpXXXXXX.tmp files? It reliably occurs on two separate installs of F7
> I've done after several hours of usage, entirely filling up the
> partition (how I wished I'd put /tmp on a separate partition).

Many programs respect the environment variables TMP and/or TMPDIR; try
setting that to a bigger directory (I use ~/tmp for my personal stuff, and
then I also run tmpwatch on that directory from my user crontab).

> Incidentally, what's the rule determining when the space reclaimed by
> deleting a file on a full partition is actually made available?
> Restarting does the trick, and sometimes logging out works as well.

When the file is no longer actually open. So if the program that made the
file is still using it, it won't be really removed even though it was
unlinked.