Can we make readahead more robust to package updates?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Wed Feb 14 18:43:51 UTC 2007

At 6:11 PM +0100 2/14/07, Karel Zak wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 09:09:22AM -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
>> At 10:41 AM +0100 2/14/07, Karel Zak wrote:
>> > Update: I've wrote a small and simple readahead-auditd that is able
>> > to collect all filenames from boot process. It means everyone will be
>> > able to generate unique list for his Fedora. And also I can maintain
>> > default lists more effective now. I'm going to release an
>> > experimental readahead package with this solution to FC7 next week.
>>
>> Would this work on FC6 as well?  If the package can build cleanly on FC6
>> I'd try it out.
>
> No problem. I use FC6 too.

Good, thanks.

>> Does the daemon keep running after booting finishes?  Will it have anything
>> more to do then?
>
> The default behaviour (depends on setting in a config file) will be
> automated finish few minutes after boot. It should be a good way how
> collect things that depend on user's habits (for example I start
> gnome-terminal, firefox and mutt after computer startup).
>
> I assume two steps:
>
>    1) collect filenames from boot process
>    2) post-processing -- things like sort by first block position
>
> All this things should be on demand. Later we can thing about more
> transparent and automated solution (or about completely different
> solution like fcache ;-).

I think you're saying that the daemon will terminate after collecting data
during boot, but the readahead.whenever files will only be regenerated when
a separate command is run.  Thus, after installing, say, a new Firefox, the
readahead.d/default.later file will have stale entries in it until the user
notices and runs that command.  I expect it will become clear when I
examine the source.