Smolt: firsboot revisited

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 08:46:03 UTC 2007

On 2/16/07, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 02:19 +0000, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>
> > I don't think you've ever said how the information is being sent
> > without user permission or what the personal data is that is being
> > sent.
> The smolt developers would be the ones to reply this.
>
> AFAIS (I banned smolt from my installations), it transmits
> a machine-id, several HW details (CPU brand, type, peripherials,
> bogomips) and OS details via http.
>
> i.e. they have the IP, they have a "machine-id", and they have
> information which is not publicly available elsewhere.
>
> Ralf

Fair enough. However the machine-id cannot legally id your computer,
nor is it supposed to be able to. As far as I understand, your
machine-id will be specific to Fedora.

But considiering you have to TELL IT to transmit thoise things, how
can there be any legal problems? Or are you saying it is illegal to
ask someone to fillout a survey form , where they can simply ignore,
in your country?
--
Fedora Core 6 and proud