Fedora 7 media sets

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Feb 15 15:56:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 16:40 +0100, Joachim Frieben wrote:
> >       * Fedora 7 DVD.  With everything for desktop, development and
> >         "mainstream" server tasks. This ends up replacing what was
> >         previously Fedora Core. There's something of an open question as
> >         to whether we'd provide CD isos here or not.  Or CD isos via
> >         bittorrent only?
> >       * Fedora 7 Everything. 2+ DVDs. More bits than you can shake a
> >         stick at. Not available on the mirrors; bittorrent only.
> >         Hopefully can share the first disc with the Fedora 7 DVD.  This
> >         would be the most at-risk and the most likely to fall off due to
> >         time pressure.
>
> Going for "Bittorrent" only for certain spins is a -very- bad idea. "Bittorrent" is blocked in certain academic and probably also enterprise environments. It's very frustrating to sit behind a "firewall" and have the necessary bandwith but no images to download. Even if "Fedora" will increase in size, it won't do that by an order of magnitude but only by a factor of 2 or so. After all, the overwhelming part of download bandwith is provided [voluntarily] by mirror sites, so I do not see a problem here.
> Up to now, I have not been able to download any "FC6" respin image because they can only be retrieved via "Bittorrent" .. #@!&*#

Anyone is welcome to take the bits from bittorrent and then provide FTP,
HTTP, etc.  But the problem is that anything on download.fedora really
needs to be mirrored.  And we've got a massive amount of content to be
mirrored; making it available in more ISO-type chunks is duplication of
what they're carrying and makes for less than happy mirror admins.

Jeremy