Fedora 7 media sets

Adam Turk bofh1234 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 15 17:07:32 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:

>Just putting the bits on the DVD isn't enough to be able to install from
>it.  The metadata on the first disc has to encompass all of them, there
>has to be some kind of reasonable way to opt-in to the fact that you've
>got everything, package ordering could be ... interesting.  Also, the
>fact that the metadata will have everything ends up meaning that the
>memory requirements are higher due to "more bits".  Or how do you drop
>the bits you no longer need.

I did something like that a long time ago.  Translated to current times and
Linux it should be as easy as:
1 On the first DVD create two directories.  fc7dvd and everything for
example
fc7dvd contains the metadata for the first dvd only.  everything contains
the
metadata for the 2nd dvd.  If the user selects an everything install
anaconda
reads the metadata from both fc7dvd and everything (I don't know how hard
this is to do).  Or just have the full metadata for both dvds in
\everything.
This might waste a little space as I don't know how much space is used by
the metadata.
2 At the boot screen the default is fedora dvd and reads from the fc7dvd
directory.  If the types linux everything then anaconda reads from the
everything directory or from both depending on which way you go.

Just my 2 pennies.