Fedora power management

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 09:11:10 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 21:30 -0600, Jay Cliburn wrote:
> I'm trying to hack/test a network driver's ability to suspend, resume,
> and wake-on-lan (while suspended).  This is on a rawhide x86_64 desktop
> system.  Is the Fedora pm-stuff documented anywhere?  I can't seem to
> find anything on the wiki, and the only related manpage is for pm-pmu.
>
> FWIW, suspend didn't seem to work, but hibernate did (aside from a
> bunch of lockdep warnings).  As near as I can tell though, my network
> module is unloaded instead of suspended because I think it gets swept
> up in the modunload() function of /etc/pm/functions.
>
> It'd help if I could find some documentation on Fedora power
> management, to try and get an understanding of how it's all supposed
> to work. Any ideas where I can find some docs?

Well, there's a link to quite an old presentation I wrote here
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/public/gnome-power-manager.pdf
which mentions how pm-utils fits into the stack, although the document
needs updating with the latest PolicyKit and ConsoleKit coolness.

I've also attached the pm-utils README file from CVS which might help.

I agree, this stuff needs better documenting - a wiki page might be
best, or maybe just manpages for the other tools.

Richard.