DVD only for Fedora "Classic" spin?

Joachim Frieben jfrieben at gmx.de
Wed Feb 21 16:33:19 UTC 2007

> That's excellent news when "FC7T1" e.g. did not even include "gcc".
>
> That's because its a desktop cd and space is not infinite.

No it's a 2.5 out of 4.5 GB DVD, and there were no other spins available for users with needs going beyond a pure desktop setup.

> I do not know about other users, but in my  case, only about
> [downloaded] 100 MB of packages from "Fedora Extras" are part of my
> default setup, whereas I certainly have about 85% of the "Core" packages
> installed [the remainder is essentially composed of "KDE" related
> packages]. This makes me really wonder if removing the distinction
> between "Core" and "Extras" was a worthwile task [whereas I fully
> welcome the use of a unified build system for both]. Doubling the volume
> of the distribution to increase package coverage [by usage] by less than
> 10% still seems questionable to me, especially when the impact on
> install media distribution ["bittorrent"] is so severe.
>
> You have to taken into consideration the general case. Not just yourself.

That's why I wrote "I do not know about other users", but even as a poor individual, I am presumably entitled to raise the **question** of how many of the most popular/needed packages are to be found in the respective respositories [50/50, 95/05, etc. (?)] ..