FC6 updates broken deps?

Demond dnjinc at wowway.com
Thu Feb 22 14:15:51 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 10:25 +0100, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
>
>> Fact of the matter is, that even though people should report such
>> iregularities, it would be a lot less work for everybody, if yum would
>> update the largest portion of updates that do not have any dependency
>> problems. I know we've been over this like a thousand times, but I still
>> see no valid reason not to make yum do this!
>>
>> That would cause the 1 or 2 or 3 packages with probles to be held back,
>> not the rest.
>>

> and it would give users very little awareness that something didn't get
> patched.
>
> giving them a false sense of security.
>
> -sv

The burden of a broken repo/updates should not be placed on the end
user.  If there is a dependency problem, then the maintainer of the repo
and/or package should be notified and is responsible for fixing the
problem.  What good does it do for the end user?  If yum, pup, or pirut
notes that packages x,y & z were not updated then no one would get a
false sense of security (no more a false sense than when none of the
packages are updated anyway).   Plus this would be a little more
presentable and user friendly.

Demond - beating a dead horse