a question about the .spec file

Chris Taylor chtaylo4 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 23:17:44 UTC 2007

> In the .spec for the current kernel-2.6.20-1.2936.fc7 the defense
> is contained in lines such as:
>    %define all_arch_configs $RPM_SOURCE_DIR/kernel-%{kversion}-*.config
> which includes %{kversion} in the relevant filenames.  However, kversion
> is only 2.6.%{sublevel}, so the defense is not necessarily exhaustive.
>
> > ... You're still advised to remove
> > old sources before running rpm -i on an SRPM.
>
> This advice confirms that some .spec files do/did have such misfeatures;
> and/or the misdesign of rpm for not anticipating the use of SOURCES
> as an uncontrolled cache, multiple simultaneous builds [inhibiting
> "rm -f SOURCES/*"], etc.

So basically this is how to recreate the problem:
install the srpm for kernel-2.6.18
build the rpm from source
install the 2.6.18 rpm
install the srpm for kernel-2.6.19
build the rpm from source
watch all config files applied (2.6.18 and 2.6.19)

this happens becuase the config files from all_arch_configs are never
deleted when building the 2.6.18 rpm.

I see two options:
1) delete the *.configs when you're done with them (akin to cleaning up your
space when you're done using it)
2) specify to loop only over kernel-%{kversion}*.config

I did #2 and it worked for me, but I can see the reasoning in doing any of
the following
1
2
1 and 2