Goodbye, Fedora

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Feb 23 14:47:37 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 17:49 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Bojan Smojver <bojan at rexursive.com>:
> > And here we see the real problem - there was no proper backup of the system
> > BEFORE any of this was attempted.  I'm sure that's Fedora's fault...
>
> Actually, there was.  But it was a couple of days old.  I didn't expect
> a *single-package update* to be so dangerous that I needed to do
> a full backup first.  How foolishly optimistic of me.

According to what I've read out of the scarce info about your problem,
/usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh could easily have helped you (unless you
managed to damage other vital system stuff as well). No need to resort
to drastic methods like static linking ;-).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759