Fedora 7

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Jan 5 04:18:54 UTC 2007

Once upon a time, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> said:
> Starting with Fedora 7, there is no more Core, and no more Extras;
> there is only Fedora. One single repository, built in the community
> on open source tools, assembled into whatever spins the Fedora community
> desires.

How will this be distributed?  Will ISOs still be available that cover
the whole repository?  Right now, Core has release targets (and then
updates), while Extras is a rolling target.  Lots of users (and
potential users) don't have high speed or even reliable Internet access;
they need everything they install to be on physical media.

I've said this before because of previous experiences trying to help a
friend with only modem access, but now I'm mailing DVDs to another
friend stationed in Iraq.  Having a "GNOME DVD" and a "KDE DVD" and a
"Server DVD" doesn't really help, since I can't anticipate what he'll
want (and all three DVDs would have a bunch in common, wasting space).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>