Fedora 7

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jan 6 12:52:12 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:

> No, it really doesn't.  Calling it Fedora Desktop means that this is the best
> desktop we're putting forward.  This is where the vast majority of
> integration work happens, where upstream participation is geared toward,
> where the majority of QA goes, etc, etc...
>
> In some magical world where a few years down the road this changes and we put
> it all into KDE for a while and KDE gets to the same level as GNOME for us,
> we make the switch in our Fedora Desktop spin, as now KDE is where all the
> above happens.

Are we aiming for a equivalent footing or not? If we are then the
branding should be a reflection of that. The problem with selecting a
release name based on a alleged current shortage of community resources
is that the perception would make it a permanent thing. Like calling
Fedora a beta would make it a excuse for bad bugs in the release. You
dont get much of a second chance to change perception some time in the
future yet again. Heck, we are *still* getting badly burned by poor
messaging in the past. Have we not learned anything from that?

  End users continue to want a well oiled integrated desktop,
> and thus choose the Fedora Desktop spin.  We want to name based on
> functionality, not on what particular software is used.

So why is one of the spins called Fedora KDE? How is it *not* a Fedora
Desktop? What about when someone wants to do a Fedora Desktop spin based
on another of those alternative desktop environments, windows managers?

Take a look at your
> menu system for example, Calculator, Dictionary, Terminal, Web Browser,
> etc...  End users need not care what actual app their using, and if they did
> care, Help -> About.

That's true for GNOME currently. Not for the KDE menu in Fedora. Do take
a look.

  We need to get easily translatable names for the things
> we do, so that it isn't a mystery what a spin is for, it is very clear.

Sure. I have been a translator before. Have release names such as Fedora
GNOME Desktop and Fedora KDE Desktop is very well translatable. No, I am
not talking about volume ids and iso filenames here.

Rahul