move lists to lists.fedoraproject.org? (was: Re: proposal: mailing list reorganization)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Jan 11 15:25:08 UTC 2007

Matthias Saou schrieb:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote :
>> Find below a proposal for a mailing list reorganization the board asked
>> me to work on.
> One question : Why are all Fedora lists @redhat.com and not
> @fedoraproject.org?

Probably because we had no machine like that when we set up the first
mailing lists.

It was discussed once to move all the list to something like
lists.fedoraproject.org (can't remember when and where -- a year ago on
fedora-devel or fedora-infrastrcture? maybe someone else might
remember), but it was decided back then that it's to much work for a
small gain.

Do we want to revisit that? Then the mailing list reorganization
suddenly becomes a really big project.

That would have some benefits:

 * a much clearer differentiation between Fedora Project and Red Hat

 * more control over the lists; from what I've heard between the words
by some people it seems to be a bit problematic to interact with the Red
Hat IS that maintains the lists.

> [...]
> My suggestion here would be to create all new lists as
> listname at lists.fedoraproject.org and eventually migrate the existing
> ones, for which it makes sense to do so, later on.

If others agree with that I'm for it, too. But I'll be a lot of work.
Then I want help ;-)

CU
thl